The Led Zeppelin Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7707
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 23 Jun 2016, 17:39

The jury have decided....they DIDN'T steal Stairway To Heaven: http://bigstory.ap.org/4d93b412e1d146618687434f04c3f751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Jun 2016, 12:14

It's either you really love or really despise Led Zeppelin... No "in between" whatsoever. I fall in the former category, but have become vastly disappointed in the fact that they really heavily borrowed from several others. I'm honestly quite shocked they won their most recent case vs. Spirit, but LZ appeared to have more superior legal representation.

I contend that Page actually did his more original and best work w/the Yardbirds although it was albeit for a brief period. I again still heavily embrace their songs despite the lack of originality since they all have such a profound sentimental impact on me. However, I don't really listen to them that much and don't really rank them highly among my all-time fave bands. They're in the middle of the pack to me......"Led Zeppelin 3" is still my fave album of theirs, very different than most of their catalog.
Image

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7707
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 27 Jun 2016, 14:57

I used to fall into the "hate" category when it came to Zeppelin until I bought all their albums and almost forced myself to listen. Now I like them very much, although I can definitely see A LOT of examples where they have stolen from others. It's not just a one off either, it happened a lot. Didn't someone post a video in this thread or a thread on the old forum containing examples of songs they had stolen from others? I can't seem to find it, hopefully someone can share it.

In terms of favourite album...IV does it for me I think. But I'd go as far as saying that their albums as a whole went downhill after that (excluding Physical Graffiti which is excellent). In fact I think Physical Graffiti could be my favourite...close one.

Oh and I'm sure I'll get some stick for it but I don't like Stairway To Heaven at all. Not a fan. Overrated, I've never understood the love for that song.
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Jun 2016, 23:23

tom_cas1 wrote:I used to fall into the "hate" category when it came to Zeppelin until I bought all their albums and almost forced myself to listen. Now I like them very much, although I can definitely see A LOT of examples where they have stolen from others. It's not just a one off either, it happened a lot. Didn't someone post a video in this thread or a thread on the old forum containing examples of songs they had stolen from others? I can't seem to find it, hopefully someone can share it.

In terms of favourite album...IV does it for me I think. But I'd go as far as saying that their albums as a whole went downhill after that (excluding Physical Graffiti which is excellent). In fact I think Physical Graffiti could be my favourite...close one.

Oh and I'm sure I'll get some stick for it but I don't like Stairway To Heaven at all. Not a fan. Overrated, I've never understood the love for that song.
First, I was the one who posted links of examples of those they stole from....I did both under this and the older site's forum, but I clicked on the links and they're no longer valid. So, I will search for those again.

What is odd, I still contend Page was at his best during his session career and with the Yardbirds. In fact, the other day I came across a "Tangerine" demo they did w/Keith Relf on vocals and it sounded quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9EPkKNiJ10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Relf obviously never possessed the range Plant was/is blessed with..... he was better suited for hardcore Blues vocals, he had asthma which also limited him some, but his vocal reads were perfect here!

Page wanted Yardbirds drummer McCarty to join LedZep, but he remained faithful to Relf and ended-up forming another band with him. Page also wanted Chris Dreja to continue on bass, which is overwhelming since he just converted to bass from rhythm guitar a year or two earlier when Samwell-Smith left performing to produce. Also, Page was even playing bass when Jeff Beck was still in the Yardbirds and/or JPJ played session bass for them.

Page was even accused of copying some of what Jeff Beck did during the earlier "Truth" sessions.. I thought Jeff Beck Group could have been even better than Zeppelin, but we all know the history there with the infighting between Rod Stewart, Beck, and Ronnie Wood..... Oh well... but that's besides the point...

I've posted this Yardbirds clip before, but McCarty showed how explosive he can be on drums and one of my friends insisted it was Bonham in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd_LmMpmWwM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again... Relf's limited vocal range made it inferior to LZ's cover... but the drumming and bass are still very top-notch......

Yeah.... I don't rank "Stairway" up there whatsoever... My all-time fave LedZep song is..... "Since I've Been Loving You" ...... Again, "Led Zeppelin III" is my absolute fave and I agree w/your love of "IV"........

Spirit controversy... I could have sworn that I read Page even heard Spirit rehearse "Taurus" even before it was released while they were touring together... I thought for sure LZ was going to lose... Oh well........
Image

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7707
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 28 Jun 2016, 17:53

Talking about Zeppelin has reminded me that I still need to hear the remasters that came out a few years ago. Are they worth getting? I looked at the bonus discs for each and they don't look THAT great to be honest.

Today I've been listening to each album in order, just started III as I type this. II is superb, really is. What Is And What Should Never Be could be my favourite Zeppelin song.
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 28 Jun 2016, 23:32

tom_cas1 wrote:Talking about Zeppelin has reminded me that I still need to hear the remasters that came out a few years ago. Are they worth getting? I looked at the bonus discs for each and they don't look THAT great to be honest.

Today I've been listening to each album in order, just started III as I type this. II is superb, really is. What Is And What Should Never Be could be my favourite Zeppelin song.

I must admit Im the worst when it comes to remasters because I seldom get interested in them. "What is And What Should Never Be" is my 2nd fave LZ song.... I still think they were at their most creative during "Houses of the Holy"and it's so unfortunate that never replicated that magic again!
Image

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7707
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Jun 2016, 13:58

Ahhh, Houses Of The Holy. I HATE that I haven't been able to get into that album and I've no idea why. I can't explain it. Maybe I just need to sit down and listen to it 3-4 times in a row.

Also on a related note, my dad has an original Houses Of The Holy LP from when it was released and it's in mint condition. Looks great, love the cover. :D
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 29 Jun 2016, 23:14

tom_cas1 wrote:Ahhh, Houses Of The Holy. I HATE that I haven't been able to get into that album and I've no idea why. I can't explain it. Maybe I just need to sit down and listen to it 3-4 times in a row.

Also on a related note, my dad has an original Houses Of The Holy LP from when it was released and it's in mint condition. Looks great, love the cover. :D

You must...even though "III" is my absolute fave album, I believe "Houses of the Holy" represented them at their most creative peak....this is where they really fully achieved the LZ sound.....it's their masterpiece..... that track-listing...the far ranging depth of sound.....very incredible and so essential! Beyond that, I only liked a handful of their songs... IE "In the Evening", and Trampled Under Foot"....."In Through the Out Door" (including "In the Evening") had them going into the direction the Who were during "Who Are You" and this is where you compare how both bands ended essentially under the same circumstance.
Image

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7707
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Jun 2016, 23:34

I listened to Houses Of The Holy after posting that earlier and I was underwhelmed. There were good moments but nowhere near as good as the previous four albums or Physical Graffiti. That's just me though. I don't know WHY I don't like it as much...maybe because it's more rock than blues, whereas their previous albums were more blues heavy.
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Jun 2016, 00:45

tom_cas1 wrote:I listened to Houses Of The Holy after posting that earlier and I was underwhelmed. There were good moments but nowhere near as good as the previous four albums or Physical Graffiti. That's just me though. I don't know WHY I don't like it as much...maybe because it's more rock than blues, whereas their previous albums were more blues heavy.

You nailed it with your last sentence because I know your more blue oriented leanings/yearnings..... I just feel this is where they really began not to copy/borrow heavily from others, it's the natural progression one wanted for them to take at the time to become more multi-dimensional. But, I can definitely understand/respect your stance on this.... That's what I love about this forum, we can each disagree on something in such a constructive manner without resorting to childish games! :D
Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by AdvertBreak » 30 Jun 2016, 06:12

Houses of the Holy might be my favourite Zep record up until that point because of the eclectic array of influences. D'Yer Maker is better than any other 'reggae' song that year in my ears.

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Jun 2016, 07:31

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:It's either you really love or really despise Led Zeppelin... No "in between" whatsoever.
:| I disagree. I generally like Zep, without being obsessive. I know a lot of their work, but not all.
KingLouieLouie76 wrote: That's what I love about this forum, we can each disagree on something in such a constructive manner without resorting to childish games! :D
....therefore, I'm glad you see things like this.... :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Jun 2016, 23:23

Mallard No. 22 wrote: :| I disagree. I generally like Zep, without being obsessive. I know a lot of their work, but not all.

You're such a rare breed then because most if all Ive encountered either worship LZ or despise them with immense passion!

Yes, "Houses of the Holy" eclectic sound (especially on the "Crunge") really separated this album from the rest of their catalog. No nod to blues whatsoever, but the popularity of blues rock was really waning during that period and they had to remain relevant and pulled it off brilliantly!
Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by AdvertBreak » 01 Jul 2016, 04:16

I'm also in the middle camp. I like them and play them occasionally. I'm generally put off by my mum and her side of the family having an illiterate love for them (largely because I prefer prog rock and krautrock from "their era" and LZ were too prone to stealing etc.) and also there's a disgustingly naive Facebook fan page for them that's run by "remember when music was real and made with skill and emotion?" retards. On the counter side I don't like the hate for them that's present on places like /mu/ or whatever. But yeah I always was and probably always will be in the middle.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 02 Jul 2016, 11:57

AdvertBreak wrote:I'm also in the middle camp. I like them and play them occasionally. I'm generally put off by my mum and her side of the family having an illiterate love for them (largely because I prefer prog rock and krautrock from "their era" and LZ were too prone to stealing etc.) and also there's a disgustingly naive Facebook fan page for them that's run by "remember when music was real and made with skill and emotion?" retards. On the counter side I don't like the hate for them that's present on places like /mu/ or whatever. But yeah I always was and probably always will be in the middle.

Interesting for me to encounter two who are in the middle, but you definitely aptly captured in your post the polar extreme of LZ fans. I agree they copied in the beginning, but then they started to really turn around by "Houses of the Holy" to have a clearly defined sound of their end. I still contend the most talented member was JPJ.
Image

Post Reply