The Kinks Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: The Kinks Thread

Postby MrMagpie » 30 Apr 2015, 14:29

I guess thematically it certainly does but it just feels out of place...maybe it's just because I'm so used to hearing the 15-track version of the album without it. It would've been a curious decision to stick a 6-month old standalone single onto the album, too, though...at least in my view :)

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem
MrMagpie

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Apr 2015, 16:11

It's overwhelming how the Kinks evolved from a single like "Autumn Almanac" to record an eventual masterpiece such as "VGPS"....But yet again singles like "Wonderboy" and "Plastic Man", makes one scratch their heads....Also, "Starstruck" (I actually love all the aforementioned songs) wasn't the best song to represent "VGPS"....They should have released "Picture Book" in retrospect as an A-side and even "Big Sky"... Those other singles just didn't chart well and represented the band sounding more bland to a certain degree compared to their contemporaries at that particular period.
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 03 May 2015, 07:55

Yes, 'Wonderboy' and 'Plastic Man' were not good singles. But I'm surprised 'Victoria' was not a bigger hit in the UK. I assume (like VGPS) its 'retro' subject may have gone against it.

I'm not sure that VGPS needed a single, in the same way that the White Album didn't have one, and e.g. 'Jumping Jack Flash' was not on 'Beggars Banquet'. I think the quaint English/UK-ness of VGPS was to its detriment commercially.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 04 May 2015, 04:28

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, 'Wonderboy' and 'Plastic Man' were not good singles. But I'm surprised 'Victoria' was not a bigger hit in the UK. I assume (like VGPS) its 'retro' subject may have gone against it.

I'm not sure that VGPS needed a single, in the same way that the White Album didn't have one, and e.g. 'Jumping Jack Flash' was not on 'Beggars Banquet'. I think the quaint English/UK-ness of VGPS was to its detriment commercially.

I hate to constantly bring this up, but you haven't...you must listen to the Beach Boys "Friends" album because at that time it received negative reviews for being too innocent of a sound and often has been compared to "VGPS" in that regard...Meaning....both respectively had a "retro" sound that was heavily knocked then since several bands were increasingly going to the mold that Hendrix, Cream, even the Stones, and the Who were...HEAVIER... But now "Friends" like "VGPS" is highly embraced today....

"Victoria" should have been a major hit....I also think "Shangri-La warrants more airplay as well.....
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 07 May 2015, 06:34

I note that the Beach Boys chart success virtually fell away in the USA after 'Pet Sounds'.

But in the UK it carried on until 1970 - e.g. 'Do It Again' was number one in the charts, 'Cottonfields' was no. 5.

And I note that 'Pet Sounds' (& subsequent albums) charted higher in UK than they did in USA, although 'Friends' did not make the top ten.

Interesting how there was this disparity between USA and UK success. Indeed most of the mid 60s singles that define the band had low or no chart placings in the UK, other than 'I Get Around'.

Perhaps in their homeland, the problems around Brian Wilson were very potent, given that they wanted to develop into the emerging rock style. But in the UK, Capitol merely released some breezy singles in the characteristic style - this was more than adequate for the passive fan, who happily bought them.
Mallard No. 22

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 07 May 2015, 07:52

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I note that the Beach Boys chart success virtually fell away in the USA after 'Pet Sounds'.

But in the UK it carried on until 1970 - e.g. 'Do It Again' was number one in the charts, 'Cottonfields' was no. 5.

And I note that 'Pet Sounds' (& subsequent albums) charted higher in UK than they did in USA, although 'Friends' did not make the top ten.

Interesting how there was this disparity between USA and UK success. Indeed most of the mid 60s singles that define the band had low or no chart placings in the UK, other than 'I Get Around'.

Perhaps in their homeland, the problems around Brian Wilson were very potent, given that they wanted to develop into the emerging rock style. But in the UK, Capitol merely released some breezy singles in the characteristic style - this was more than adequate for the passive fan, who happily bought them.

Most of it was Brian's inability to complete "Smile" at the time (after all that hype and anticipation that mounted), them bowing out of the Monterrey Pop Festival at the last minute, and just they from the general American public thought they sounded too soft and dated. But retrospectively, those releases are more highly regarded today, similar to how several now embrace the Kinks output from that era as well and most deservedly so!
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 07 May 2015, 08:15

It is so often the case that when you hear music retrospectively, it stands up well, regardless of how successful it was at the time.

But at that time, it is subject to difficulties with the artists themselves, set against changing styles by other artists. In turn this affects management/record company interest in dedicating time & money to promotion.
Mallard No. 22

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 07 May 2015, 11:37

Mallard No. 22 wrote:It is so often the case that when you hear music retrospectively, it stands up well, regardless of how successful it was at the time.

But at that time, it is subject to difficulties with the artists themselves, set against changing styles by other artists. In turn this affects management/record company interest in dedicating time & money to promotion.

Exactly.... Here's one prime example of how excellent the Beach Boys "Friends" album (released in '68) is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vbclu8ELDE

To me that even captures what the Kinks were doing on "VGPS"......And this is Brian post "Pet Sounds"... to me... he's never lost it whatsoever.....
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 12 May 2015, 06:32

In 1968, almost everybody, in every style of music, was doing good work :D

Interesting YT comment on the link (by 'Gregory Frandano') suggesting it was an early example of 'sampling' - listening to the song, this appears to be the case, with the choir cutting in & out very quickly.
Mallard No. 22

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 14 May 2015, 09:11

Mallard No. 22 wrote:In 1968, almost everybody, in every style of music, was doing good work :D

Interesting YT comment on the link (by 'Gregory Frandano') suggesting it was an early example of 'sampling' - listening to the song, this appears to be the case, with the choir cutting in & out very quickly.

What I found hilarious about that YT comment is that the author claims that's the last album Brian contributed on before he "went nuts"....He only really broke down in between '73'-75 over the lost of his father Murry (who contributed vocals to one line of that song) and again in early-mid 80s but that got prolonged because of his involvement w/his doctor, Landy..... Anyways that other thread I included that song "All I Wanna Do" and that was recorded in '69 and released in '70..... But around that time his interest in the Beach Boys waned and he got involved w/his wife's and sister-in-law's duo, called Spring (eventually American Spring).....

Anyways.. enough of that on a Kinks thread....But "Friends" as a whole album clocked in at only 25 minutes..Just too brief, but 25 amazing minutes well spent!
KingLouieLouie76

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 19 Dec 2015, 11:51

http://radio.com/2015/12/18/kinks-ray-a ... -on-stage/

So last night brothers Ray and Dave finally joined each other onstage for the first time since 1996! Yes, let the speculation begin this might point to a Kinks 2016 reunion, however, we obviously know that Dave and Mick must reconcile their differences first, but this is a very promising development indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... yWZizDPNAY
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 23 Dec 2015, 08:18

That looks like a good old town hall gig :D

The band on form, and the audience right up close.
Mallard No. 22

PreviousNext

Return to Music Is My Radar