The Kinks Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

KingLouieLouie76

Re: The Kinks Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Apr 2015, 05:45

MrMagpie wrote:^part of the reason Ray was so inward looking and English-centric during that period is because, with the ban from America from 1965-69 he almost HAD to be. He's always said that he writes what he knows so it makes sense. But yes, awful timing having the misfortune to be released the same day as the White Album!

Ray was the only one to embrace the UK at the time (which obviously became the case w/Britpop nearly 25-years later)......He has truly been ahead of his time. Only the Beatles brief foray with nostalgia (Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane and to a certain extent, "Sgt. Pepper album) did the same. I guess to a lesser degree the Wh did w/"Sell Out" with the Pirate radio motif. But what is the essence is how "VGPS" is so highly regarded today..it will always stand the test of time and become further appreciated by the masses.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Apr 2015, 06:28

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
MrMagpie wrote: But that is the essence is how "VGPS" is so highly regarded today..it will always stand the test of time and become further appreciated by the masses.
Yes, it is a document of changing times.

It would have benefitted (at the time) from a big hit single being upon it. Although the trend at the time was to move away from singles, and the 'White Album' didn't have any (at least, not for The Beatles themselves).
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Apr 2015, 01:11

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
MrMagpie wrote: But that is the essence is how "VGPS" is so highly regarded today..it will always stand the test of time and become further appreciated by the masses.
Yes, it is a document of changing times.

It would have benefitted (at the time) from a big hit single being upon it. Although the trend at the time was to move away from singles, and the 'White Album' didn't have any (at least, not for The Beatles themselves).

Agreed....The Beatles, Kinks, the Rolling Stones, the Beach Boys, the Who..etc..the HIGHLY successful bands during that era knew to put emphasis on the entire album than just mere singles... The bands who took the opposite approach no longer have any sustainable success.. Album oriented definitely was the way to go..... That's why most bands fail today for the most part! Heck we all know the tale regarding "Revolution" and how that wasn't even deemed adequate enough to be "Hey Jude" B-side!

What song on "VGPS" would have made a hit single? "Picture Book" more than likely.....

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 23 Apr 2015, 01:20

Agreed, because isn't Picture Book their best known album track anyway? (Or at least that's the impression I get)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Apr 2015, 01:27

AdvertBreak wrote:Agreed, because isn't Picture Book their best known album track anyway? (Or at least that's the impression I get)

Not necessarily... but it has gained more appreciation over the years... In fact, "Picture Book" became popular here in the States a few years ago since it was featured in a HP computer ad (and several other Kinks songs have also been in recent ads)...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lde77E4PY4Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hate songs being used for commercial gain, but actually it does help attract newer fans, so I'm definitely all in favor of that!

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 23 Apr 2015, 16:58

AdvertBreak wrote:Agreed, because isn't Picture Book their best known album track anyway? (Or at least that's the impression I get)
Not really...in fact outside of Kinks fanatics it was unknown here in the USA until it was used in an HP Photo commercial about 10 years ago. I remember being shocked when I first heard it because it's such a deep album cut that I was probably the only person in New Hampshire who had heard the song prior to that TV ad :lol:

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Apr 2015, 18:53

MrMagpie wrote:
Not really...in fact outside of Kinks fanatics it was unknown here in the USA until it was used in an HP Photo commercial about 10 years ago. I remember being shocked when I first heard it because it's such a deep album cut that I was probably the only person in New Hampshire who had heard the song prior to that TV ad :lol:
MrMagpie, do you remember when "Everybody's Gonna Be Happy" was also featured in an ad over this past decade? I believe it was for some cholesterol or blood pressure medication ad......

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 Apr 2015, 06:18

Very difficult to pick a stand-out 'single' from VGPS. Everything is part of the whole.
MrMagpie wrote:I was probably the only person in New Hampshire who had heard the song prior to that TV ad :lol:
Such a lot of older music gains a new appreciation via use in contemporary TV, movies and adverts.

Whilst this can be good, the new audience doesn't know where the song originated, and does not see it in its original context.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 27 Apr 2015, 18:49

Was there a particular reason Days wasn't on VGPS? It was written around that time, wasn't it?

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 28 Apr 2015, 06:09

He's So High wrote:Was there a particular reason Days wasn't on VGPS? It was written around that time, wasn't it?

"Days" was actually on earlier versions of "VGPS".....I guess the record label forced them to release it sooner, which probably backfired back then to a certain extent...

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 29 Apr 2015, 13:43

Yes, "Days" was on the original 12-track version of the album that was released and quickly withdrawn in Europe. Strange decision, though, as it doesn't fit in with the concept of VGPS and it was also a non-album single MONTHS before the album was released. Ray was right on that decision to pull the album and revamp it before unleashing it onto the world.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 29 Apr 2015, 20:26

^ah right, thanks for the info.

Interested that you don't think it fits in with VGPS though. I would have said its wistfulness made it quite a good fit.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 30 Apr 2015, 13:29

I guess thematically it certainly does but it just feels out of place...maybe it's just because I'm so used to hearing the 15-track version of the album without it. It would've been a curious decision to stick a 6-month old standalone single onto the album, too, though...at least in my view :)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Apr 2015, 15:11

It's overwhelming how the Kinks evolved from a single like "Autumn Almanac" to record an eventual masterpiece such as "VGPS"....But yet again singles like "Wonderboy" and "Plastic Man", makes one scratch their heads....Also, "Starstruck" (I actually love all the aforementioned songs) wasn't the best song to represent "VGPS"....They should have released "Picture Book" in retrospect as an A-side and even "Big Sky"... Those other singles just didn't chart well and represented the band sounding more bland to a certain degree compared to their contemporaries at that particular period.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 May 2015, 06:55

Yes, 'Wonderboy' and 'Plastic Man' were not good singles. But I'm surprised 'Victoria' was not a bigger hit in the UK. I assume (like VGPS) its 'retro' subject may have gone against it.

I'm not sure that VGPS needed a single, in the same way that the White Album didn't have one, and e.g. 'Jumping Jack Flash' was not on 'Beggars Banquet'. I think the quaint English/UK-ness of VGPS was to its detriment commercially.