The Who Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

MrMagpie

Re: The Who Thread

Post by MrMagpie » 21 Jul 2015, 13:33

Exactly. They're so different yet forever tied together in a way Keith or John wouldn't be. Pete writes the songs but Roger is the voice through which Pete communicates them.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 22 Jul 2015, 06:56

MrMagpie wrote:Exactly. They're so different yet forever tied together in a way Keith or John wouldn't be. Pete writes the songs but Roger is the voice through which Pete communicates them.

I still get a kick out of Pete when he always claims on everyone within the Who despised each other (which we've discussed quite a bit before)..... Because we all know they all seriously loved each other... But...Pete and especially Roger just resent the directions both Keith and John embarked on respectively. True, Keith seemed to be wanting to turn his life around when he passed (but it was obviously too late)....and the Who were about to make a strong comeback when John experienced his demise (well, as strong of a comeback they could have made minus Keith).....

Roger to me always had the most difficult job of any lead-singer having to try to convey Pete's emotions in each and every lyric....and Pete is an immense perfectionist and the fact that he never seemed hesitant to have Roger deliver the story also adds more credence that Roger is one of the best vocalist ever without any doubt whatsoever!

Also, I always love songs in which Pete would sing a key line of a song... mainly on "Who's Next" and "Quadrophenia".... "Bargain" and of course the "why should I care?" parts on "5:15" being my favorite instances of that!

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 24 Jul 2015, 13:17

Not only that, but usually it was Roger who screened Pete's demos for songs he would/wouldn't sing. Hence his rejection of things like "However Much I Booze" as being "too personal." Fascinating dynamic. It *is* true they barely socialized when they weren't recording or on the road, which is one of the reasons John and Keith, especially Keith, loved being on the road. It was the only time they could hang out.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Jul 2015, 15:18

MrMagpie wrote:Not only that, but usually it was Roger who screened Pete's demos for songs he would/wouldn't sing. Hence his rejection of things like "However Much I Booze" as being "too personal." Fascinating dynamic. It *is* true they barely socialized when they weren't recording or on the road, which is one of the reasons John and Keith, especially Keith, loved being on the road. It was the only time they could hang out.

That was also the case with most of "Who By Numbers" (which is one of my least fave Keith Moon era albums)...... True, it has some solid moments on it though.... but that was probably the most difficult period for Pete personally. I guess it's among my least faves because it wasn't any progression from "Quadrophenia", but then again what band could better that themselves! "Slip Kid", "Blue, Red, and Grey", "However Much I Booze", and "In a Hand or a Face" are the best tracks.... "Success Story" is one of the Ox's inferior songs, and "Squeeze Box" and "Dreaming From the Waist" I've always been mixed on. The rest weren't of best quality.

It seems Roger and Pete to a certain extent preferred the domesticated lifestyle and Ox and Keith were obviously more naturally wild, but that blend of four different personalities provided them that dynamic they needed or else they wouldn't have lasted too long.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Jul 2015, 06:24

The 'Who By Numbers' LP (both by its title and contents) are prime evidence for those that argue the stagnation of rock music in the mid 70s.

'Squeeze Box' was a chart hit single that, rather than crash the party and break barriers, was designed to sit nicely alongside The Sutherland Brothers or Gallagher & Lyle.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 01 Aug 2015, 09:24

Mallard No. 22 wrote:The 'Who By Numbers' LP (both by its title and contents) are prime evidence for those that argue the stagnation of rock music in the mid 70s.

'Squeeze Box' was a chart hit single that, rather than crash the party and break barriers, was designed to sit nicely alongside The Sutherland Brothers or Gallagher & Lyle.

But also during this time Pete was going through a major introspective phase and it appears that this more than likely was best suited to be more of a vehicle for a solo album than anything else. Plus, I believe Pete needed to scale everything down and return back to basics because he had just come off the two largely ambitious projects, the not fully materialized "Lifehouse" and then "Quadrophenia"..... Plus he just had "Tommy" 6-years earlier. It seems they were all worn out during that time and "Who By Numbers" just reflected that. Pete than had some sort of resurgence with "Who Are You?" especially wanting to respond to all his detractors during that period.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Aug 2015, 07:16

Yes, that is right. He had those three big projects (+ 'Tommy' had been made as a film as well). It all epitomised how rock music had become ever extravagant since the late 60s.

As you suggest, 'Squeeze Box' might have been better as a solo single for one of the members.

Also, by 1975-76 a lot of the most innovative music was disco-influenced. Which I think was OK, but many weren't so keen. And so there is the belief that new wave hit when it did because it needed to.

'Who Are You', coming during the 'kick in the pants' that was new wave, saw a re-invigorated Who.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Aug 2015, 03:35

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, that is right. He had those three big projects (+ 'Tommy' had been made as a film as well). It all epitomised how rock music had become ever extravagant since the late 60s.

As you suggest, 'Squeeze Box' might have been better as a solo single for one of the members.

Also, by 1975-76 a lot of the most innovative music was disco-influenced. Which I think was OK, but many weren't so keen. And so there is the belief that new wave hit when it did because it needed to.

'Who Are You', coming during the 'kick in the pants' that was new wave, saw a re-invigorated Who.

"Who By Numbers" was Pete's most autobiographical album. Roger refused to do the vocals to "However Much I Booze" since Roger didn't drink and then think of songs like "How Many Friends", "Blue, Red and Grey", and "In Hand Or Face".....So first person narrative, I would definitely compare to Lennon's lyrics/vocals on "Plastic Ono Band"..... Just more blunt and direct than anything else. And what is amazing....Roger had to portray Pete and he obviously masterfully pulled it off, thus proving again how brilliant Roger always has been and will be as an all-around vocalist.

Yeah, "Who Are You" marked the Who back to true form, but we obviously all know what transpired next.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Aug 2015, 07:31

Yes I do know what came next. :o

Interesting how Roger was/is the non-drinking, keep-fit professional. In contrast to the deep-thinking Pete, and the crazy antics of Keith.

The Beatles e.g. did not have such diverse personalities.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Aug 2015, 02:21

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes I do know what came next. :o

Interesting how Roger was/is the non-drinking, keep-fit professional. In contrast to the deep-thinking Pete, and the crazy antics of Keith.

The Beatles e.g. did not have such diverse personalities.

And then the Ox was such an enigma himself...He on stage was the anchor who would stand still while the other three resorted to mayhem, but he ultimately became self destructive!

Those dynamics kept them together and propelled them into those heights!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Aug 2015, 05:48

John Entwistle was living the rock n roll lifestyle when he died.

Though this may have been influenced by the pressure of the tour they were starting.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 14 Aug 2015, 14:32

John was always very wild offstage...he and Keith did some crazy, CRAZY things, as detailed in Pete's book, several of the Who books by insiders (like Richard Barnes), and various anecdotes from friends. He also did smash several basses onstage over the years with the Who...maybe one a year between from '67-'76, although comically one time his bass wouldn't break as it was a sturdy Fender P-bass...the other three kept laughing at him as he kept trying to smash it up onstage! :lol:

I'd love to see a really well researched, authorized biography on John...he's the one we know the least about and he's the one who spoke the least to the press or the fans.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Aug 2015, 05:59

He probably led a colourful life for a 'quiet guy'.

Surprising that in the later stages of his career he was still dipping into the groupie scene, as on the night of his death. :o

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Aug 2015, 01:00

Mallard No. 22 wrote:He probably led a colourful life for a 'quiet guy'.

Surprising that in the later stages of his career he was still dipping into the groupie scene, as on the night of his death. :o

Yeah, he did seem clean during his solo concerts, but it seems something suddenly changed when reuniting w/Pete and Roger...I guess his solo tours were obviously more low-profiled and they were just coming off probably their best performance since Keith passed (their 9/11 concert in '01).....Maybe that triggered him to revert back to those vices.... Lord...I'll love the footage of him during "Kids Are Alright" when he uses his Framed Gold or Platinum discs as targets during the "Success Story" sequence... I always will love the OX regardless!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 01 Sep 2015, 06:07

I agree, he was probably feeling some pressure being on high-profile gigs again.

Also groupies & substances may have been around such gigs, but less so on the low-profile solo work.