Beach Boys Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 28 Dec 2015, 04:07

Lt Pinkerton wrote:I've been listening to Friends all morning. Such an underrated album, isn't it?
"Friends" is my 2nd fave Beach Boys album following "Pet Sounds"... Brian was still on top true form throughout the album..he accounted for most of the songs and his vocals and overall production work was still amazing.. Unfortunately, he lost interest in the band on their next album, "20/20", but "20/20" still contained several songs from the "Friends" sessions which were brilliant.....

"Catch A Wave" is one of the better Beach Boys biographies... However, one of the best ever is the documentary, "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" which is on youtube....

Lord... I cannot believe what this individual has recently uploaded on youtube... the first 1967 Hawaii concert featuring Brian and then the rehearsal sessions... So..WOW..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOajv1G-dtU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYRLUEeKxCc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I posted the 2nd concert earlier in this thread....

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 30 Dec 2015, 00:23

Great, I ordered Catch A Wave the other day, I can't wait to read it! I'm planning to listen to their whole discography in the next few weeks, although I've been warned to stay away from their 80s era and that Mike Love album. It's been all Friends and 20/20 this week and I must say I like both a great deal, Friends obviously being the better record.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Dec 2015, 02:29

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Great, I ordered Catch A Wave the other day, I can't wait to read it! I'm planning to listen to their whole discography in the next few weeks, although I've been warned to stay away from their 80s era and that Mike Love album. It's been all Friends and 20/20 this week and I must say I like both a great deal, Friends obviously being the better record.

First, I agree with how horrible the mid-late 80s Beach Boys albums were... 1980's "Keepin' the Summer Alive" was solid (and the last one recorded before Dennis passed in 1983, the 28th marked the 32nd anniversary of his drowning)....

"20/20" was the first that Brian didn't contribute any newer material during the sessions... Here's essentially the track-by-track origins:

1) "Do It Again" was originally conceived by Mike to revert back to the Beach Boys vintage surf sound and Brian contributed most of the lyrics and sung the 2nd part and the high falsettos, written, recorded, and released in the late spring to early summer of '68.

2) "I Can Hear Music" was younger brother Carl taking complete control.

3) "Bluebirds Over the Mountain" was a remake of a 1958 song and Mike is the lead-singer on the track.

4) "Be With Me" was Dennis co-writing the lyrics with one of his partners and offering his rather distinctive vocals.

5) "All I Want To Do" was a scorching rocker Dennis wrote starring Mike on lead vocals and in the end...well..if you listen closely it is rumored Dennis was recorded shagging some girl in the studio and it is captured....

6) "The Nearest Faraway Place" was defacto member, Bruce Johnston exhibiting his ballsy chops on piano...

7) "Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song)" was a brilliant cover pulled off by Al Jardine on vocals... He's also chiefly responsible for the Beach Boys covering "Sloop John B" on "Pet Sounds"....

8)"I Went to Sleep" was Brian and Carl splitting vocals from a track left over from the "Friends" sessions....

9) "Time to Get Alone" was left over from the "Wild Honey" sessions (released in Dec of '67)...

10) "Never Learn Not to Love" was "Cease to Exist" written by Charles Manson of all people who Dennis befriended.. Dennis sung lead and altered the lyrics which struck the ire of Manson and several believed that's what started his infamous murderous rampage..

11) "Our Prayer" Brian wrote and recorded during the aborted "Smile" sessions.

12) "Cabinessence" is another from the "Smile" sessions that Brian along w/his then collaborator, Van Dyke Parks wrote....

A very disjointed album, but still top-notch.... You must check out "Wild Honey" and "Sunflower" next....

Here's a special treat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AROBZTOAJNc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Dec 2015, 20:43

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:Didn't know that - were The Beatles actually approached to record it?

No, he did not.....Brian however once wrote a song specifically meant for Phil Spector to record w/the Ronettes, but Phil unfortunately declined....
Yes, I can imagine Brian writing a song for the Phil Spector stable.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 30 Dec 2015, 23:43

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:Great, I ordered Catch A Wave the other day, I can't wait to read it! I'm planning to listen to their whole discography in the next few weeks, although I've been warned to stay away from their 80s era and that Mike Love album. It's been all Friends and 20/20 this week and I must say I like both a great deal, Friends obviously being the better record.

First, I agree with how horrible the mid-late 80s Beach Boys albums were... 1980's "Keepin' the Summer Alive" was solid (and the last one recorded before Dennis passed in 1983, the 28th marked the 32nd anniversary of his drowning)....

"20/20" was the first that Brian didn't contribute any newer material during the sessions... Here's essentially the track-by-track origins:

Here's a special treat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AROBZTOAJNc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, thanks for taking the time to do this! I had no idea about that Charles Manson story, holy shit :lol:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Dec 2015, 06:29

First.... Brian has always idolized Phil Spector, but unfortunately Spector doesn't reciprocate the exact same respect to Brian. Brian to this day plays "Be My Baby" every single day.

Regarding the Beach Boys (ie Dennis Wilson) and Charles Manson, just google or go on youtube and you'd be blown away!

I don't know if you either of you caught this in my last post, but this video is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AROBZTOAJNc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Derek Taylor (who also worked with the Beatles) also assisted the Beach Boys with public relations and he had them record 15 minutes of promotional material for "Pet Sounds" and it was featured exclusively on UK television. That video captured some of it......

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 01 Jan 2016, 18:54

Is there any experimentation at all on Wild Honey or Friends? I'm tempted to check them both out, to be honest.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 01 Jan 2016, 18:56

AdvertBreak wrote:Is there any experimentation at all on Wild Flower or Friends? I'm tempted to check them both out, to be honest.
Yes.. on both "Wild Honey" and Friends"... but you must check-out "Smilie Smile" because that entire album is BEYOND tripped out!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Jan 2016, 23:18

Has anyone checked out this albums? If so, please let me know what you think......

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 08 Jan 2016, 14:03

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:I've been listening to Friends all morning. Such an underrated album, isn't it?
"Friends" is my 2nd fave Beach Boys album following "Pet Sounds"... Brian was still on top true form throughout the album..he accounted for most of the songs and his vocals and overall production work was still amazing.. Unfortunately, he lost interest in the band on their next album, "20/20", but "20/20" still contained several songs from the "Friends" sessions which were brilliant.....

"Catch A Wave" is one of the better Beach Boys biographies... However, one of the best ever is the documentary, "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" which is on youtube....

Lord... I cannot believe what this individual has recently uploaded on youtube... the first 1967 Hawaii concert featuring Brian and then the rehearsal sessions... So..WOW..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOajv1G-dtU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYRLUEeKxCc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I posted the 2nd concert earlier in this thread....
Are those the infamous Lei'd in Hawaii aborted live album shows?

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 Jan 2016, 15:14

MrMagpie wrote: Are those the infamous Lei'd in Hawaii aborted live album shows?

Yes...unfortunately, the 2nd recorded concert (8/26) has since been removed from youtube, but this youtube subscriber, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPbkBC ... h3NcBjKMWA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has the entire concert, but each song posted individually....

It was immediately aborted in favor of the "Wild Honey" album which it took them less than 4 months to record.

The problem with "Lei'd" was that de-facto member, Bruce Johnston, wanted a break away from the band because he felt things were becoming "too weird", especially their mass intake of drugs.... Therefore, Brian ended-up joining them for the Hawaii concerts, however, under the condition that he played organs and not his customary bass. Bruce played bass/organ in Brian's stage absence, so that forced Carl and Al to split bass duties and they were essentially both novices at it. I must admit Brian's organ did add some luster to the sound.... It's fits so perfectly here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP56-5Fp2DI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's some footage of the concert, but the audio was another concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd6-OLQBfn4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's labeled 1966 because that's when "God Only Knows" was obviously released, but this was from the August 67 Hawaii concerts... You can tell Brian was really high! haha....

I love Brian's reaction during this clip as several females kept on screaming out Carl's name.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjV1LiiNuGk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later in 1967 the band extended their touring line-up by adding bassist... I don't think Carl and Al sound all too bad on bass..... I prefer hearing Brian than Bruce and wish Brian toured more w/the band during that period.. he didn't in the early 70s due to his weight problems.... But did sometimes make an occasional appearance..

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 09 Jan 2016, 17:09

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Has anyone checked out this albums? If so, please let me know what you think......
I've been listening to them lately, although not as much as I'd like to (Blackstar is to blame for this!).Wild Honey is, first of all, surprisingly short! Carl sang a lot on this one, didn't he? It's a good album, and certainly a very peculiar one. Smiley Smile is just wonderful, athough I think I should spend more time with it.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Jan 2016, 23:48

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Has anyone checked out this albums? If so, please let me know what you think......
I've been listening to them lately, although not as much as I'd like to (Blackstar is to blame for this!).Wild Honey is, first of all, surprisingly short! Carl sang a lot on this one, didn't he? It's a good album, and certainly a very peculiar one. Smiley Smile is just wonderful, athough I think I should spend more time with it.

First of all, I don't blame you..... "Blackstar" is beyond amazing... but anyways... :lol:

"Wild Honey" was very short, but so were "Smiley Smile", "Friends" and "20/20"...By memory...I believe they average around 26 minutes long....

"Wild Honey" was an after thought...they only put it together in Brian's home studio during at least 1-2 months of recording.... They just aborted the Hawaii concert album and just a couple month after releasing "Smiley Smile".

Carl's vocals were prominent throughout... Here's track-by-track breakdown

1) "Wild Honey" - Carl
2) "Aren't You Glad" - Mike, Brian, and Carl split lead vocal duties
3) "I Was Made to Love Her" (Stevie Wonder remake) - Carl
4) "Country Air" - entire band
5) "A Thing or Two" - Mike, Brian, and Carl
6) "Darlin'" - Carl
7) "I'd Love Just Once to See You" - Brian
8) "Here Comes the Night" - Brian
9) "Let the Wind Blow" - Mike, Brian, and Carl.... Carl though lead while performed live
10) "How She Boogalooed It" - Carl
11) "Mama Says" - group w/Paul McCartney chomping on a celery

"Smiley Smile" was the Beach Boys "Pinkerton" because it was their attempt to salvage a more ambitious project (in the Beach Boys scheme of things was obviously "Smile").... Brian scaled back most of the songs such as "Wind Chimes", "Heroes and Villains", "Whistle In, "Wonderful", "Vegetables", "With Me Tonight", and She's Goin Bald"... "Fall Breaks and Back to Winter (W. Woodpecker Symphony)" exhibited the sheer lunacy of "Smile"....They added "Little Pad" and "Gettin' Hungry" just for the "Smiley Smile" sessions, Brian objected to "Good Vibrations" being included on "Smiley Smile" since it was already released a year earlier than the
album....

"Smile" wasn't officially released until 2011 as part of the box-set and it's certainly worth checking out.....If completed accordingly, it would have been released of "Sgt Pepper" and might have eclipsed "Pet Sounds"... Since it wasn't, everyone at the time bashed "Smiley Smile", but over the years several have begun to embrace it more...

You must soon check-out "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" and several of the unreleased material during those eras!

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 11 Jan 2016, 15:23

I kinda know what happened during the Smile sessions, although I have to admit I'v never gone full depth into it. Hopefully Catch A Wave will end that! I'm sort of saving the reworked Smile album for a time when I can fully appreciate it. I wanna listen to every proper released album before (even though I might skip some of the shitty ones). To tell you the truth, I'm kind scared that I'm not gonna like it as much as I should on first listen.

You're right about the album length in those albums, Friends is actually like just 30 seconds longer than Wild Honey :lol: I don't why but it felt way shorter than Friends and 20/20 on first listen.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Jan 2016, 22:41

Lt Pinkerton wrote:I kinda know what happened during the Smile sessions, although I have to admit I'v never gone full depth into it. Hopefully Catch A Wave will end that! I'm sort of saving the reworked Smile album for a time when I can fully appreciate it. I wanna listen to every proper released album before (even though I might skip some of the shitty ones). To tell you the truth, I'm kind scared that I'm not gonna like it as much as I should on first listen.

You're right about the album length in those albums, Friends is actually like just 30 seconds longer than Wild Honey :lol: I don't why but it felt way shorter than Friends and 20/20 on first listen.

That's the best approach..... "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" are remarkable.. "Carl & the Passions, So Tough" is one I'm often mixed on... "Holland" is just BEYODND amazing.. "15 Big Ones" has it moments... "Love You" has Brian at his best in years... "MIU" and "LA" are horrid (but have some decent moments), "Keepin the Summer Alive" was a decent rebound.. Now we're suddenly into the mid-80s Beach Boys... Rather bland... but the last album they did in 2012, "That's Why God Made the Radio" again is Brian at his best! Brian is such a difference maker.. so were Carl and Dennis at times....