Page 11 of 13

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 17 Mar 2018, 07:41
by KingLouieLouie76
Regarding the Kinks..they had that 1960s ban in the States and once that finally got lifted they started putting more emphasis on attracting that audience, especially with their later 70s/early 80s albums, but then it seemed w/"Come Dancing" they were focusing more on the UK to a certain extent.

The Beach Boys album I compare to "Village Green Preservation" would be their own respective 1968 release, "Friends"..... It has a nostalgic (meaning even pre-60s) feel to it. That was ideal that they began stripping away such as what the Beatles essentially did w/the "White Album" rather than becoming caricatures of themselves.

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 22 Mar 2018, 06:35
by Mallard No. 22
The 'stripping away' worked well with The Beatles, albeit this would have gone too far if 'Let It Be' was released after the 'White album', as originally intended.

The Kinks 'Come Dancing' was a nostalgic single very suited to the UK (dealing with changes to townscapes, e.g. the demolition of the dance hall).

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 26 Mar 2018, 15:19
by KingLouieLouie76
Mallard No. 22 wrote:The 'stripping away' worked well with The Beatles, albeit this would have gone too far if 'Let It Be' was released after the 'White album', as originally intended.

The Kinks 'Come Dancing' was a nostalgic single very suited to the UK (dealing with changes to townscapes, e.g. the demolition of the dance hall).

Yeah.... "Let It Be Naked" essentially is what "Let It Be" was meant to be w/out Spector and his BEYOND lush arrangements.

I never honestly knew the background behind "Come Dancing", so thanks for definitely sharing that! I know Ray was always sentimental about his sister as well and wrote several songs (including that one) as her serving as primary inspiration as well.

Beach Boys "Friends" (1968) and "20/20" (1969) have such a unique feel to it, despite "20/20" being rather fragmented.

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 29 Mar 2018, 04:02
by Mallard No. 22
The Beach Boys 'Friends' and '20/20' albums did well in the UK.

The Kinks always had a distinct British-ness about them. 'Come Dancing' was a social commentary in similar vein to 'The Village Green Preservation Society'.

Albeit 'Come Dancing' was a kind of happy nostalgias - looking back to their youth and remembering how their town used to be :)

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 05 Apr 2018, 15:57
by KingLouieLouie76
Mallard No. 22 wrote:The Beach Boys 'Friends' and '20/20' albums did well in the UK.

The Kinks always had a distinct British-ness about them. 'Come Dancing' was a social commentary in similar vein to 'The Village Green Preservation Society'.

Albeit 'Come Dancing' was a kind of happy nostalgias - looking back to their youth and remembering how their town used to be :)

I'm honestly shocked that "20/20" charted well in the UK, but perhaps mainly because of "Do It Again"..... That album was the first one that Brian wasn't really involved in and was so fragmented consisting of several songs dating back to prior album's recording sessions from the then at the time aborted "Smile" sessions to even tracks that were recorded during "Smilie Smile", "Wild Honey", and "Friends"..... Even "Do It Again" was recorded a couple of years earlier, but they needed something very commercial sounding to generate interest and acceptance by their record company.

In the States, all those albums were generally overlooked, but they've all aged considerably well and receive positive reviews.


The Kinks "Muswell Hillbillies" had a general nostalgic allure to it.....

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 05 Apr 2018, 21:34
by Mallard No. 22
I think basically the commercial Beach Boys songs had a broad appeal that the UK audiences wanted. In the late 60s, after pirate radio ended, daytime radio was middle of the road, and the Beach Boy UK single releases suited the housewives :)

Meanwhile, The Kinks melancholia wasn't going to suit the rock audience :|

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 02 May 2018, 03:18
by KingLouieLouie76
Yeah.... however, in recent years those Beach Boys era albums ('69-'73) have really aged considerably well and the masses seem to appreciate them more now than before. It seemed the aftermath of the "Smile" fiasco really impacted them so negatively, but now it's realized how ahead of the curb they were!

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 06 May 2018, 04:47
by Mallard No. 22
I think what might have gone against them by the early 70s is the name 'Beach Boys'.

It implies a short-haired lightweight group doing pop songs from the mid 60s.

Perhaps the audience never saw them beyond this.

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 12 May 2018, 20:38
by KingLouieLouie76
Mallard No. 22 wrote:I think what might have gone against them by the early 70s is the name 'Beach Boys'.

It implies a short-haired lightweight group doing pop songs from the mid 60s.

Perhaps the audience never saw them beyond this.

What's so funny, around the late 60s/early 70s they were actually thinking of omitting "Boys" from the band name, but they were well branded by then. They didn't even choose the "Beach Boys" to begin with... they were originally called the "Pendletones" but apparently the record label renamed them without them even knowing or consenting to it.

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 14 May 2018, 05:37
by Mallard No. 22
I can well imagine a psych-band called 'Beach'.

In that period, the shortening of names was a trend, to enable an act to move in a rock music direction.

E.g. The Small Faces became The Faces, The Love Affair became LA and Andy Fairweather-Low (of Amen Corner) re-organised his group to be called Fairweather.

Sometimes it was successful, other times less so.

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 26 May 2018, 15:47
by KingLouieLouie76
Mallard No. 22 wrote:I can well imagine a psych-band called 'Beach'.

In that period, the shortening of names was a trend, to enable an act to move in a rock music direction.

E.g. The Small Faces became The Faces, The Love Affair became LA and Andy Fairweather-Low (of Amen Corner) re-organised his group to be called Fairweather.

Sometimes it was successful, other times less so.
Another wonderful band that did the same were the Rascals (were initially christened as the Young Rascals).......

Beach Boys in the early 70s were challenged by management to write more topical songs reflecting the times and they actually did quite an impressive job that those songs still hold-up well today and not just pertinent or sounding like it just belongs to that particular period/era. Some of their most unappreciated work, mainly "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up", but they've been better appreciated today.

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 27 May 2018, 09:27
by Mallard No. 22
Yes I don't doubt it. Many 60s artists, once the 70s arrived, seemed to be cast aside, although in reality they were moving with the times, and their work was no poorer.

The Kinks, Beach Boys, The Hollies, Dusty Springfield all spring to mind.

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 31 May 2018, 01:24
by KingLouieLouie76
Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes I don't doubt it. Many 60s artists, once the 70s arrived, seemed to be cast aside, although in reality they were moving with the times, and their work was no poorer.

The Kinks, Beach Boys, The Hollies, Dusty Springfield all spring to mind.
Beach Boys were cast aside when they dropped out of the Monterey Pop Festival (June of 1967) at the last minute. They were supposed to be among the headliners but there are several theories ranging from Mike Love despising Coca Cola (one of the festivals sponsors) to Carl being a draft dodger. Also several were disappointed in "Smilie Smile" what was a lower-fi version of what the aborted "Smile" was supposed to be.... All their output from 1967-1973 have regained much more favorable reviews now of course....But Brian and the "Boys" were ahead of their time and the record labels screwed them over!

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 05 Jun 2018, 12:04
by AdvertBreak
The wikipedia page for Friends got a major overhaul recently (by the same user that did the excellent pages for Smiley Smile and Wild Honey). Looking forward to see it at least get Good Article status if not Featured.

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Posted: 07 Jun 2018, 06:18
by Mallard No. 22
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Beach Boys were cast aside when they dropped out of the Monterey Pop Festival (June of 1967) at the last minute. They were supposed to be among the headliners but there are several theories
I don't think that was a good move, and yes it will have harmed them in North America.

In the UK, Monterey meant less at that time (because it wasn't held there) so they could still innocently release their surf-pop singles with great success.

Did they tour the UK in the 1967-70 period?