Beach Boys Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mallard No. 22

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Aug 2015, 07:26

Yes I personally don't think their post-1966 work is any lesser than their previous. And as you say this was their main period of success in the UK.

Indeed, such as 'Surfin USA', 'Help Me Rhondda' & 'California Girls' had only been in the lower part of the top 40. Other than 'I Get Around', their main run of UK top ten hits was 1966-70.

'Wild Honey', 'Darlin' & 'Do It Again' are amongst my personal all-time BB favourites, and they are all post-1966.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Aug 2015, 02:25

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes I personally don't think their post-1966 work is any lesser than their previous. And as you say this was their main period of success in the UK.

Indeed, such as 'Surfin USA', 'Help Me Rhondda' & 'California Girls' had only been in the lower part of the top 40. Other than 'I Get Around', their main run of UK top ten hits was 1966-70.

'Wild Honey', 'Darlin' & 'Do It Again' are amongst my personal all-time BB favourites, and they are all post-1966.
You must listen to all of "Wild Honey" (the LP which also "Darlin" was on)....It predates what CCR did with California Southern Rock....... Such an amazing album..the follow-up "Friends" is certainly to that magnitude, but they faltered some on the disjointed "20/20" album which "Do It Again" is the lead track..... Then "Sunflower", "Surf's Up", "Carl & the Passions (So Tough)" and "Holland" were all outstanding!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Aug 2015, 05:52

The albums you mention from 'Sunflower' onwards all charted in the UK.

Though their run of top ten singles ended in 1970, as it did for so many 60s bands in the UK.

I think that the end of The Beatles had an influence on this. The audience looked at The Hollies, Herman's Hermits, The Beach Boys, Dave Clark Five, The Kinks etc and thought "they've had their day as well". :cry:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Aug 2015, 01:12

Here's Paul McCartney in a recent interview addressing the Beatles/Beach Boys rivalry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcbLOEl8r6g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, the media really didn't fabricate that.....

Also, Paul discusses the impact of "God Only Knows" and once performing it w/Brian Wilson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F7AlIHyeCk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recently posted on youtube is one of the bootlegs from 08/26/67 Hawaiian concerts when Brian first joined the Beach Boys in concert since late Dec of '64. Brian and apparently his brother Dennis were both high and the audio was horrid... It was meant to be recorded as a live album, but that never materialized. In fact, they later assembled in the studio to record the songs with audience applause tracks dubbed in, but that also never fully came to fruition... Here's the concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_iqcVjwU3E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another issue, Brian refused to play bass... instead he insisted on sitting behind the organ causing both Carl and Al to alternate on bass who really both never played it before...that also detracted away from it some....

Also, here's video footage of them doing "God Only Knows" from either that or the 8/25/67 Hawaiian concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd6-OLQBfn4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Supposedly they thought of filming the entire concert as well... you can tell Brian seems high in that clip! haha

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 01 Sep 2015, 06:16

Always good to hear McCartney's thoughts on the happenings of that period.

Good live version of 'God Only Knows'.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Sep 2015, 02:12

The following is a solid video to watch... put a lot into perspective regarding how dynamics in the band can really change a course of a song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3f6ZKQ_ffo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (especially from the 7 minute mark).....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 07 Sep 2015, 05:56

They started out as an innocent pop group, and quickly moved into a rock band pushing barriers.

In the UK, the 'pop' aspect remained throughout this period.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Sep 2015, 07:18

Mallard No. 22 wrote:They started out as an innocent pop group, and quickly moved into a rock band pushing barriers.

In the UK, the 'pop' aspect remained throughout this period.

And that previous clip really puts so much into perspective.... Mike Love did not want to push the envelop to break any barriers, he just wanted them to churn out the surf/car songs and then Al exhibited his hesitance as well...Al even refuses to sing one of their 70s songs "Suzie Cincinnati" due to its subject matter.

Mike Love killed "Smile" because he resented Brian collaborating with someone else and he still even questions some lyrics that Van Dyke Parks wrote back then to this day...Brian was willing to compromise w/Mike...which was demonstrated on "Do It Again"......I could go on and on obviously..don't want to bore you if I am! :D

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 14 Sep 2015, 08:10

Regarding Mike Love's preference for the straightforward, I liked 'Darlin' & 'Do It Again' (which was a UK no. 1). They are two of my favourite BB tracks.

In this period, 'I Can Hear Music', 'Breakaway' & 'Cottonfields' were also big UK hits, though I find them routine.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Sep 2015, 00:43

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Regarding Mike Love's preference for the straightforward, I liked 'Darlin' & 'Do It Again' (which was a UK no. 1). They are two of my favourite BB tracks.

In this period, 'I Can Hear Music', 'Breakaway' & 'Cottonfields' were also big UK hits, though I find them routine.
You must check-out the Brian Wilson biopic, "Love and Mercy"...It's incredible and puts so much more into perspective....

Anyways... you should listen to their b-sides from each of those singles you posted and the unreleased recordings from that period as well....Some amazing material!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 26 Sep 2015, 06:08

They were probably too far ahead for the general audience. That is why 'standard-type' singles were released in the UK, and became big hits.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Sep 2015, 20:22

Mallard No. 22 wrote:They were probably too far ahead for the general audience. That is why 'standard-type' singles were released in the UK, and became big hits.

Here's some examples:

B-Side to "Breakaway": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0vCWr9JmDI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B-Side to "I Can Hear Music" (was also on the 20/20 album): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj56nXX-T6A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two unreleased tracks from that era:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0YC3Z6lkBI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHXGvDP8iLI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 01 Oct 2015, 05:53

I like 'All I Want To Do', a rocker that is reminiscent of Creedence Clearwater Revival and others of that period.

Perhaps though it wasn't 'The Beach Boys sound'. A bit like The Monkees did good songs in their final days (e.g. 'Listen To The Band'). They are great when you hear them now, but at the time probably not what their audience was looking for.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Oct 2015, 06:45

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I like 'All I Want To Do', a rocker that is reminiscent of Creedence Clearwater Revival and others of that period.

Perhaps though it wasn't 'The Beach Boys sound'. A bit like The Monkees did good songs in their final days (e.g. 'Listen To The Band'). They are great when you hear them now, but at the time probably not what their audience was looking for.
First, interesting trivia regarding "All I Want To Do"...blast the song towards the end (or put on headphones) and you'll hear a couple moaning.... Apparently it is drummer, Dennis along with some unspecified female engaging in...well...anyways! :lol:

I agree w/your general Monkees comparison....In this case the Beach Boys again were transitioning while experimenting with different styles... That "20/20" album was the first Brian really didn't participate in....they took a couple songs from the then unfinished "Smile" sessions, used songs from both the "Wild Honey" and "Friends" sessions...heck..even recorded a Charles Manson number..... A really interesting album...disjointed, but really solid overall......

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Oct 2015, 08:18

Until the murders it could be said that Manson was on the fringes of the 'scene' in LA. Albeit more by his definition.