Beach Boys Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

KingLouieLouie76

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 May 2017, 05:51

Oh wow! http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... et-w483761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 May 2017, 06:37

Probably in the light of this news, BBC 6Music went straight into playing the 'Wild Honey' single, after a news bulletin one evening this week.

I hadn't heard it for many years, and it sounded good :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 May 2017, 07:23

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Probably in the light of this news, BBC 6Music went straight into playing the 'Wild Honey' single, after a news bulletin one evening this week.

I hadn't heard it for many years, and it sounded good :D

Such a vastly underrated album that several disregarded upon its release because several were disappointed about "Smiley Smile" not living up to the immense build-up to "Smile". In fact, "Smiley Smile" has also aged considerably well and I love how stripped back the "Smile" songs are on there.

"Wild Honey" the title track is awesome, but here's my absolute fave tune from the album.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xdnrzpi2rg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 02 Jul 2017, 19:40

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Oh wow! http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... et-w483761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well..this since has been released and posted on Spotify and it's VERY amazing and any music lover must check it out and eventually purchase it! They in fact did a cover of Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders "Game of Love" which was never officially released nor I believe never heard by the general public until now and that alone is worth the price for the compilation! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_p-n3z0TvQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SO AWESOME...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 07 Jul 2017, 13:23

Yes, that is interesting that they covered the WF & TM hit :)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Jul 2017, 03:57

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, that is interesting that they covered the WF & TM hit :)

That simply came out of nowhere and I've been playing it nonstop! Just Brian and Mike tinkering around and probably not entirely a serious effort, but it still sounded wonderful! You must check this box out... definitely ranks w/the Beatles recent "Sgt Pepper" one.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Jul 2017, 20:25

I haven't got the Sgt Pepper box set yet. So much to do.... :!:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 18 Jul 2017, 00:11

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I haven't got the Sgt Pepper box set yet. So much to do.... :!:

I bet.... Both are worthwhile just to spend hours listening to on Spotify. I just love what the Beach Boys did w/theirs... which is an EXTREMELY intriguing period of the band!

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 21 Feb 2018, 14:49

I've just been listening to Love You. What a curious album! Some of Brian's best tunes on there.

In spite of his obviously damaged voice, I feel like Dennis' vocal contributions to this record were impeccable.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Feb 2018, 04:52

UnderThePuritan wrote:I've just been listening to Love You. What a curious album! Some of Brian's best tunes on there.

In spite of his obviously damaged voice, I feel like Dennis' vocal contributions to this record were impeccable.

I'm glad someone else bumped this thread up other than me! haha.... Also, elated to come across another Beach Boys fan on this forum.

I agree w/you.... Dennis really contributed brilliantly and unfortunately it was the last album he really was involved in since the final three before he passed he couldn't tolerate the direction they were heading into. Mainly dominated by Mike Love and Al Jardine somewhat. But I agree w/you... Especially on "I Bet He's Nice", "Mona", and "I Wanna Pick You Up" Dennis added that certain something! "Love You" is vastly underrated and again it was dreadful how "MIU", "LA", and to a certain degree "Keepin' the Summer Alive" were. Brian wanted to be more creative w/"Love You", but the record label and Mike Love rejected the material which caused Brian to relapse into his deep depressive state.

Dennis' "Pacific Ocean Blue" is worth checking out and his work on "Sunflower" should never be overlooked!

I again could talk and talk and talk about the Beach Boys forever! haha

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 28 Feb 2018, 16:03

It does make you wonder how the Beach Boys would have progressed if it was just the Wilson brothers at the helm. Apparently they basically finished Love You as a trio, with Al and Mike being absent for most of the proceedings. I feel like Dennis and Carl would have supported Brian better artistically and they would have ended up in a more interesting place for that point in time.

Also on an aside, how good is the 'Oh Lord' demo with Brian and Dennis? It's as soulful as I've ever heard Brian sing. It's a pity the song wasn't ever released, it really is a transcendent, affecting piece of music.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 02 Mar 2018, 05:23

"Love You" initially began as a Brian solo album and he apparently he started to breakdown again, so both Carl and Dennis immediately came in and helped salvage the project.

I love "Oh Lord" and the rest of the "Cocaine Sessions"..... Brian never lost his voice as several claimed, he just despised the extended use of the falsetto after awhile and he wanted to sound "grittier" during the later 70s.

Yeah, Mike never wanted to "f*** with the formula" and wanted the Beach Boys to be a nostalgia band (which they essentially became) and Al was also very conservative.

Dennis lost interest towards the end, but who can blame him w/Mike always pulling a power play and Carl always supported Brian as well, but he couldn't really gain control over the direction that Mike had. I still love "Adult/Child" which was slated to be the "Love You" follow-up and it would have kept the Beach Boys more relevant, but the likes of "MIU" and "LA" just really made them seem way out of touch, but both albums do have a couple solid contributions from Brian though.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Mar 2018, 05:17

I don't know it, but the 'Love You' album did quite well in the UK.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Mar 2018, 10:54

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I don't know it, but the 'Love You' album did quite well in the UK.

The Beach Boys charted WAY BETTER in the UK from "Pet Sounds" and afterwards. In fact, in 1966 the UK voted them the best band in the world (ahead of the "Fab Four" even). The US really disregarded them during the time for several reasons. To me its similar to how the UK seemed to have disdain towards the Kinks in the 70s while the States were really embracing them.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 Mar 2018, 06:39

Yes, interesting points. Most of the Beach Boys mid 60s singles like 'California Girls' only reached the top 30 in the UK (rather than top 10). A run of top ten hits only began with 'Sloop John B' in 1966.

The later 60s commercial singles like 'Darlin', 'Do It Again', 'I Can Hear Music', 'Breakaway' and 'Cottonfields' were all top ten UK hits (indeed Do It Again was no.1) yet were less popular in the USA.

Not sure why The Kinks faded from popularity in the UK in the 70s - though I suspect as with others like The Hollies and Manfred Mann they were considered a passe 60s beat group, and that other acts could do rock-orientated music.

Though there had been a blip in the careers of The Kinks (& The Who) as early as 1968 - 'The Village Green Preservation Society' was considered a melancholic look into the past, not in keeping with the 'revolutionary' tone of 1968, and it failed to translate to the public at that time.