Duran Duran Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

mr_spenalzo

Re: Duran Duran Thread

Post by mr_spenalzo » 11 Oct 2014, 15:33

I remember the first time I heard it on the radio (I was delighted), the second time I heard it on the radio (I taped it, I'd been waiting for the song to tape it) and the many times I heard it on tape. I remember the first time I saw the video (I know their reputation as a band with great vids comes from the early 80s ones, but to this day Ordinary World is my favourite video of theirs... it's warm, stylish, pretty, bit sad... it captures the band perfectly)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Oct 2014, 13:20

I've always loved the "Ordinary World" video..My older sister remarked back then during the scene of the four of them walking down that one path reminds her of the Beatles "Abbey Road" cover for some odd reason! "Come Undone" was a solid effort, but I especially loved "Too Much Information" as well......But I definitely echo your sentiments on the "Ordinary World" video, mainly that it indeed captured the band perfectly!

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 12 Oct 2014, 15:43

I can see what you mean with the Beatles look of that particular shot.

The Come Undone video is beautiful as well.. In fact, everything that era looked beautiful. The band, the video's, the single and album art work, the booklet of the CD... that's definitely something the band never managed again... the next few albums looked messy, too busy or a bit cheap.

I'm really hoping they get around to releasing the group's MTV Unplugged on DVD. that was ace!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Oct 2014, 16:56

First, I posted this previously on the Blur forum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3sD18UIPoM

Andy did an amazing job!

I honestly did not pay attention to either "Medazzaland" and "Pop Trash"....Only mid-late 90s Duran Duran album I paid attention to was "Thank You"....I instantly fell in love w/their version of "White Lines" and immediately went out and purchased the c.d....I liked most of the other tracks on it and loved hearing Roger back in the fold on a couple.....

"Astronaut" was brilliant....The latter two weren't as great, but I loved the title track of "All You Need Is Now" which is probably their best song in quite some time!

Miki

Post by Miki » 12 Oct 2014, 17:27

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20140813

Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone seen it?
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Oct 2014, 04:09

Miki wrote:http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20140813

Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone seen it?
No, but thanks for pointing that out! I always loved their 80s documentaries....A fun band to see from behind the scenes indeed....Always loved the dynamics within the group!

Missy

Post by Missy » 16 Oct 2014, 20:50

No heard of this film, but reading the article it seems it was in theatres only for one night, in september. Next week, and only for two nights, here in italy there will be a similar film about spandau ballet....plenty of 80's revival...it seems!!
Back then i was in love for duran duran, but i never managed to see them live. I loved mostly their earlier album and when i married i lost contact with the music, so i listened to their late work only a couple of year ago.
But then i discovered blur and i think they are sooooo much better.......
Anyway, duran were imoortant for me as a teenager and still love them

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Oct 2014, 06:28

Missy wrote:No heard of this film, but reading the article it seems it was in theatres only for one night, in september. Next week, and only for two nights, here in italy there will be a similar film about spandau ballet....plenty of 80's revival...it seems!!
Back then i was in love for duran duran, but i never managed to see them live. I loved mostly their earlier album and when i married i lost contact with the music, so i listened to their late work only a couple of year ago.
Yeah, that's essentially the sentiment with most in terms of preferring the Britpop bands over Duran Duran. That several did not listen to their mid-late 90s albums, but since rediscovered because today's music forces several back to the past due to how horrid the current music landscape is!

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 20 Oct 2014, 18:06

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Missy wrote:No heard of this film, but reading the article it seems it was in theatres only for one night, in september. Next week, and only for two nights, here in italy there will be a similar film about spandau ballet....plenty of 80's revival...it seems!!
Yeah, that's essentially the sentiment with most in terms of preferring the Britpop bands over Duran Duran. That several did not listen to their mid-late 90s albums, but since rediscovered because today's music forces several back to the past due to how horrid the current music landscape is!
If there even is such a thing as a current music landscape it's a massive carpark (no weeds) where there used to be bushes, trees, dirt and lakes.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Oct 2014, 05:40

mr_spenalzo wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
If there even is such a thing as a current music landscape it's a massive carpark (no weeds) where there used to be bushes, trees, dirt and lakes.
Yeah.. it's a cesspool alright! More like a bottomless pit of quicksand....I've been sitting here for 10-years hoping someone or something would come along to revolutionize music again and only to be led astray....Oh well.....This is the worst drought ever!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Oct 2014, 21:58

mr_spenalzo wrote:If there even is such a thing as a current music landscape it's a massive carpark (no weeds) where there used to be bushes, trees, dirt and lakes.
Yes, brilliant quote!
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Miki

Post by Miki » 24 Jun 2015, 22:37

New song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYpnpYDQdbk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Album out in September.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Jun 2015, 23:04

I agree with Mr Spenalzo that Pressure Off is pretty terrible, but I've got quite interested in them recently. Of course, I had to listen to the apparent two shittest albums first, Big Thing and Liberty, and liked neither, and then jumped to Pop Trash which I quite liked. Working my way up to the first two albums (which I know practically all of anyway).

Miki

Post by Miki » 24 Jun 2015, 23:15

I used to be into them big time in the 80s, but kind of lost interest after Notorious. I do have all their albums up to that point, though.

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 25 Jun 2015, 12:22

Miki wrote:New song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYpnpYDQdbk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Album out in September.
Terrible, I don't like it at all.
In spite of it, if they will be touring this september maybe it's the time I'll manage to see them live (hoping they'll play mostly old material :roll: )

If you compare this song with ANY of the song of the magic whip the result is really embarassing for Duran Duran..... :lol: