Duran Duran Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Duran Duran Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Sep 2014, 21:12

I will just copy and paste the my original initial subject post from the Blur "Music Is My Radar" forum:

I might be ridiculed for starting this thread or not....Sometimes, Duran Duran can be considered a "guilty pleasure", but then I become so sentimental whenever I think about them.... I first started listening to them around '81 (so the early years)....
I love the "Fab 5" era more than anything with of course Simon, Nick, John, Andy, and Roger. I do love when Warren Cuccurullo joined them after Andy and Roger had left (especially the Wedding Album) and I managed to see them in concert circa '89/'90.....

I was so enthusiastic when the original five reunited and loved "Astronaut" quite a bit and wish that Andy didn't leave the band again since his contributions can never be underestimated whatsoever!

Of course, my fave albums are "Duran Duran" (1st one), "Rio", and "Seven and the Ragged Tiger"....."Arena" was an exceptional live album... I will never forget that one evening both my older sisters and I gathered in my sister's bedroom and listened to the world premiere of "Wild Boys" and walking away rather confused by it, but it eventually grew on me..... Then, the moment I first heard "A View to a Kill"......wow!

I could go on and on as always! haha

tom_cas1

Re: Duran Duran Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 20 Sep 2014, 21:57

Hmmm...not sure we needed this one re-created... :P
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Sep 2014, 23:39

tom_cas1 wrote:Hmmm...not sure we needed this one re-created... :P
Hey...the original thread generated 51 posts within less than month! haha :D I actually was shocked that several other "Duranties" still exist! :P

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 23 Sep 2014, 18:34

Best thread ever, and was going to overtake The Beatles one in due time. My theory is that the powers that be feared this and decided to prevent it the only way possible: by pulling the plug on the entire forum.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Sep 2014, 07:10

mr_spenalzo wrote:Best thread ever, and was going to overtake The Beatles one in due time. My theory is that the powers that be feared this and decided to prevent it the only way possible: by pulling the plug on the entire forum.

Conspiracy theorists, unite! haha

Seriously, I must figure out to regain back the momentum of the original thread..... What's everyone's fave Duran Duran album? Mine is "Seven And the Ragged Tiger"!

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 26 Sep 2014, 16:54

I have to say the debut is hard to beat... I posted my top 13 in the ranking albums thread:

01. Duran Duran
02. Rio
03. Notorious
04. Big Thing
05. The Wedding Album
06. Liberty
07. Seven And The Ragged Tiger
08. Astronaut
09. Red Carpet Massacre
10. Thank You
11. All You Need Is Now
12. Medazzaland
13. Pop Trash

Only #12 & #13 aren't very good, I quite like all their other records.
7&TRT being at #7 is coincidence

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Oct 2014, 07:32

mr_spenalzo wrote:I have to say the debut is hard to beat... I posted my top 13 in the ranking albums thread:

01. Duran Duran
02. Rio
03. Notorious
04. Big Thing
05. The Wedding Album
06. Liberty
07. Seven And The Ragged Tiger
08. Astronaut
09. Red Carpet Massacre
10. Thank You
11. All You Need Is Now
12. Medazzaland
13. Pop Trash

Only #12 & #13 aren't very good, I quite like all their other records.
7&TRT being at #7 is coincidence

Oh wow...it is very difficult to rank my faves in order after "Seven and the Ragged Tiger" (which I noticed you ranked in the middle).....I have such obscure tastes myself though...so! haha...... I must admit, I tuned them out during the later WC albums (except for "Thank You") and only have listened to "Astronaut" since (due to the obvious!).... I guess they recorded a follow-up with Andy that got discarded (oh well!).......

I also can go on and on about Arcadia...I would rank that higher than most Duran Duran albums!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 05 Oct 2014, 20:14

Did good work for several years in 80s-90s. In fact, Blur might have killed them off :o ;)

Fave tracks include 'My Own Way', 'The Chauffeur', 'Is There Something I Should Know' and later 'Ordinary World'.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 Oct 2014, 05:40

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Did good work for several years in 80s-90s. In fact, Blur might have killed them off :o ;)

Fave tracks include 'My Own Way', 'The Chauffeur', 'Is There Something I Should Know' and later 'Ordinary World'.
Yeah... perhaps Blur killed them off when they opened for Duran Duran in '93 and that's when they premiered "Parklife"! There can be something to that... a passing of the torch...Both bands to me have quite a few parallels there.....

All your fave tracks are solid ones.....I still wish Andy would return......But it seems it will never happen again..Oh well....

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 06 Oct 2014, 18:01

Hmmm, as much as I love the 86-93 albums I think by 1993 Duran Duran weren't the-band-to-kill-off anymore. Nirvana, R.E.M., Pearl Jam maybe... or Take That, Ace Of Base, East 17 and 2 Unlimited, who were probably getting more airtime on mainstream media (despite grunge).

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 Oct 2014, 08:14

mr_spenalzo wrote:Hmmm, as much as I love the 86-93 albums I think by 1993 Duran Duran weren't the-band-to-kill-off anymore. Nirvana, R.E.M., Pearl Jam maybe... or Take That, Ace Of Base, East 17 and 2 Unlimited, who were probably getting more airtime on mainstream media (despite grunge).

Exactly.... Britpop and Grunge killed them during that time.....I began to lose my interest in them, but was sold when the "Wedding Album" came-out and when I first heard their version of "White Lines" (which led me to purchase "Thank You") I began to fall in love w/them again....But my interest waned again until Andy rejoined and of course declined when he departed again...He just adds so much to them that people tend to forget about it though!

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 08 Oct 2014, 18:31

There are so many reasons to dislike Warren, but he kept DD alive during some pretty difficult times, and his sounds on the Notorious > Thank You albums is great. Which made it all the more worrying that they turned so lethargic and boring for Pop Trash (and to a lesser extend Medazzaland)... Oddly, I've never been to bothered about Andy, probably because he was no longer in the group when I became aware of them ('88)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Oct 2014, 15:12

mr_spenalzo wrote:There are so many reasons to dislike Warren, but he kept DD alive during some pretty difficult times, and his sounds on the Notorious > Thank You albums is great. Which made it all the more worrying that they turned so lethargic and boring for Pop Trash (and to a lesser extend Medazzaland)... Oddly, I've never been to bothered about Andy, probably because he was no longer in the group when I became aware of them ('88)
I've always been a Warren fan though....Even when he was performing with Frank Zappa and also when he was with Missing Persons...But just Andy to me suited Duran Duran better...But I go back to '81/'82 as a huge fan...Mainly due to my older sisters who adored them (well, for other reasons than I! haha)....They always had a favorite "Duranny" of the month.... :D I loved their songs, but especially their videos! Warren was excellent on the "Wedding Album", but here's another instance when he performed well and this is one of the most underrated songs and videos by Duran Duran from an album that deserves more recognition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQR3OxPF2Vo

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 10 Oct 2014, 17:30

"Liberty" is one underrated record, absolutely. It's wonderful from start to finish, and at times even spectacular (the title track, Serious, My Antarctica)... I've always wondered if "Venice Drowning" consciously nods to Talking Heads in some of the vocals.. it's a bit like U2's "Lemon", only a few years too soon.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Oct 2014, 13:08

mr_spenalzo wrote:"Liberty" is one underrated record, absolutely. It's wonderful from start to finish, and at times even spectacular (the title track, Serious, My Antarctica)... I've always wondered if "Venice Drowning" consciously nods to Talking Heads in some of the vocals.. it's a bit like U2's "Lemon", only a few years too soon.
Agreed...they released that album when the Hair Bands were on the verge of relinquishing everything to the Grunge crowd and that cost several bands dearly, but Duran Duran ultimately passed the test and managed to survive...."The Wedding Album" just salvaged them though...I'll again never forget the first time I heard "Ordinary World".. it just came out of nowhere and really captured me beyond belief!