Whats your favourite song at the moment

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Oct 2016, 14:17

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Consigliere_11 wrote:^I like the Bowie version quite a lot - such a class, especially on the Dick Cavett Show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb4k_5aKXI0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah...I love that Dick Cavett Show performance! Bowie also performed it on Tom Snyder (another talk show in the States) around that same period. I love how they all got "Fame" out of it.
Good song, good performance. The backtrack (soon to be used for 'Fame') sounds like a sample would have done in subsequent times.

P.S. Louie - love the Sneaker Pimps track. Indeed, Sneaker Pimps are very evocative of that part of the 90s. I quite often play that album, having re-discovered it again more recently. Superb - they came and went too quickly :cry:

Yeah.... I love how all of that evolved during the "Across the Universe" session.... Alomar jamming along w/John and inspiring Bowie....pure genius!

The Sneaker Pimps shouldn't have fired Kelli from the band...she was the one essential piece that elevated them over the top...She's since became a solo artist under the name of Kelli Ali (in dedication of her dad) and is definitely worth listening to and is even hotter than ever!
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 19 Oct 2016, 05:43

You're right. Kelli looks well good in that video - a rival for Louise Wener, Sonya Maden and Miki Berenyi amongst the indie girls of that period. :D

I liked the hit singles '6 Underground' and 'Spin Spin Sugar'. Although playing the album now, my favourite single is 'Post-Modern Sleaze'. Looking it up, I was visiting North America when it crept in and out of the UK chart in August 1997. Which will be why I didn't pick up on it.

I don't remember, but ironically this seems to be when I bought the album :) - it has copyright references to Canada & USA on the sleeve, rather than UK. At that time, it was cheaper in real terms to buy music there, so if visiting I took advantage of this. :idea:
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 Oct 2016, 21:34

Mallard No. 22 wrote:You're right. Kelli looks well good in that video - a rival for Louise Wener, Sonya Maden and Miki Berenyi amongst the indie girls of that period. :D

I liked the hit singles '6 Underground' and 'Spin Spin Sugar'. Although playing the album now, my favourite single is 'Post-Modern Sleaze'. Looking it up, I was visiting North America when it crept in and out of the UK chart in August 1997. Which will be why I didn't pick up on it.

I don't remember, but ironically this seems to be when I bought the album :) - it has copyright references to Canada & USA on the sleeve, rather than UK. At that time, it was cheaper in real terms to buy music there, so if visiting I took advantage of this. :idea:

You were in the States back then? Why and where? August 1997 was when I moved into my first apartment, what a wonderful period it was and some fascinating music indeed!
Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by AdvertBreak » 20 Oct 2016, 15:51

Nick Cave - From Her to Eternity

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Oct 2016, 16:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIKSmFbmOuM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image


User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 25 Oct 2016, 05:42

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:You were in the States back then? Why and where? August 1997 was when I moved into my first apartment, what a wonderful period it was and some fascinating music indeed!
Mainly Canada, did a bit of travelling and visited some relatives as well. It intrigued me seeing albums by e.g. Stereolab and Sneaker Pimps in the record shops. Had little idea that they had a North American following.

I happened to be wearing a Blur t-shirt one day and a girl stopped me and said "hey, you like Blur, wow, how do you know about them....?" :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Oct 2016, 14:29

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:You were in the States back then? Why and where? August 1997 was when I moved into my first apartment, what a wonderful period it was and some fascinating music indeed!
Mainly Canada, did a bit of travelling and visited some relatives as well. It intrigued me seeing albums by e.g. Stereolab and Sneaker Pimps in the record shops. Had little idea that they had a North American following.

I happened to be wearing a Blur t-shirt one day and a girl stopped me and said "hey, you like Blur, wow, how do you know about them....?" :D

What part of Canada? I have relatives there myself and would along w/my friends circa '96-'98 would frequent Windsor, Ontario dance clubs because their legal drinking age back then was 19. They even played "Song 2" regularly and it was fun inventing dance moves to it! :lol:


Back on topic and sorry for high-jacking this thread... Right now this is my fave song at the moment! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKjs4qoSZ0c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by AdvertBreak » 25 Oct 2016, 15:40

XTC - Melt the Guns

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by AdvertBreak » 30 Oct 2016, 12:37

hmm
The Cure - Like Cockatoos

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 01 Nov 2016, 07:35

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:What part of Canada? I have relatives there myself and would along w/my friends circa '96-'98 would frequent Windsor, Ontario dance clubs because their legal drinking age back then was 19. They even played "Song 2" regularly and it was fun inventing dance moves to it! :lol:
IIRC 'Song 2' was popular while I was out there.

P.S. I've PMd you :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
Miki
Posts: 2034
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 16:35
Location: South of England

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by Miki » 01 Nov 2016, 12:32

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiNX0BYeQT4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Image

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 02 Nov 2016, 04:18

This nugget from Cheap Trick's 1977 self-titled debut album.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp_qMbDmB8Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

Mark87uk
Posts: 107
Joined: 24 Jul 2015, 03:30

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by Mark87uk » 02 Nov 2016, 20:16

Just re-discovered The Paddingtons and their single 'Panic Attack' so so good!

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 Nov 2016, 00:17

Still on a Cheap Trick kick...this is a 1996 live performance from their ode to the Beatles from their 1977 self-titled album.... I've been watching this clip nonstop! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6cCeARnp2w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

Post Reply