The Beatles Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

KingLouieLouie76

Re: The Beatles thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Sep 2014, 23:53

I wouldn't be shocked if this thread alone will soon eclipse the whole Blur forum on here in terms of post....I know this forum in general will do so!

I want to continue some of the discussion that went on in the parent thread....Anyone else love the "I Want You" "(She's So Heavy)" version w/Paul on lead vocals?
Oh, do I love Tom's post of "Something" that included "Remember"..... WOW!

I've posted this before.....I just wish they'd release a deluxe "Let It Be" film version which included all that unreleased footage.....I know it obviously did document the Beatles when they were at an all-time low, but we've all accepted that now as fact and it is very intriguing to see them while they jammed away.....I would have loved to watch when they did "Love Me Do" despite on how awful they sounded.....

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Sep 2014, 02:38

I read something earlier in the year saying a Blu-ray of Let It Be could be coming. I can't for the life of me remember where I read it though, online somewhere. I posted a link on the old forum. I'm not massively fussed to be honest but I'd love a remastered version of the rooftop concert. Surprised that hasn't been released separately.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 21 Sep 2014, 03:10

I'm sorry! Please don't pass me by, don't make me cry, don't make me blue! :mrgreen:

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 21 Sep 2014, 05:05

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I
..Anyone else love the "I Want You" "(She's So Heavy)" version w/Paul on lead vocals?
Hmmmm I would be interested, but I don't think it would be as good. Who knows. I'm not saying Paul doesn't have a good voice or anything b/c I think he has one of the best voices in rock, but I think John's voice is more suited for it.

I read somewhere that John thought he would have done a better vocal on "Oh Darling" Sorry John, I think not. First off, the song is about John so John wouldn't have the emotions Paul has in his vocal. Secondly, I don't think John could belt or scream as good as Paul could.

What does everyone else think?

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Sep 2014, 07:20

MsMagicAmerica wrote:
..Anyone else love the "I Want You" "(She's So Heavy)" version w/Paul on lead vocals?
Hmmmm I would be interested, but I don't think it would be as good. Who knows. I'm not saying Paul doesn't have a good voice or anything b/c I think he has one of the best voices in rock, but I think John's voice is more suited for it.

I read somewhere that John thought he would have done a better vocal on "Oh Darling" Sorry John, I think not. First off, the song is about John so John wouldn't have the emotions Paul has in his vocal. Secondly, I don't think John could belt or scream as good as Paul could.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. Paul had that part of his voice where he could belt out a vocal. I love both their voices, they each had that ability to send shivers down my spine with some of the things they could do, though Paul is the better singer technically, surely? I think John's Oh! Darling would sound thin and weak compared to the actual recording. John's voice was incredibly interesting and carried his emotions perfectly - sarcasm, anger, whimsicality etc - but it's a different instrumentment to Paul's.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 21 Sep 2014, 11:28

MsMagicAmerica wrote:

I totally agree with you, Kirstin. Paul and John both had great "rocker" voices but in different way. I'm not sure Paul could have gotten quite as gritty and pained as John did in I Want You, and I'm not sure John has the power or range that Paul does on Oh! Darling. It worked out perfectly in the end who sang what. 8-)

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 21 Sep 2014, 11:44

Anyone else see this the other day? Hunter Davies looks at some Beatles song original manuscripts from John and Paul. Very cool...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 43223.html

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Sep 2014, 12:04

Poll created.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 21 Sep 2014, 12:12

I truly love them all but it can only be one...the White Album.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 21 Sep 2014, 13:24

There's an album missing...

We all live in a yellow submarine
Yellow submarine
Yellow submarine
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 21 Sep 2014, 13:25

Forever Low Man wrote:There's an album missing...

Yellow submarine
Yellow submarine
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Sep 2014, 13:34

And which one would that be?

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Sep 2014, 13:57

Had to be White Album.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Sep 2014, 14:04

Forever Low Man wrote:
Forever Low Man wrote:There's an album missing...

Yellow submarine
Yellow submarine
Oh, you mean Yellow Submarine! Technically Magical Mystery Tour has been subsumed into the core back catalogue, but I don't recognise that as it was only the EP of course until '76 when it 'became' an album.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 21 Sep 2014, 14:53

Where will it stop if you put Magical Mystery Tour in with the rest of the albums?
Beatles VI? Yesterday and Today? American Rubber Soul? We can't have that, now, can we?